App Terms & conditions of use
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY
By downloading and using the app, checking the in-app Terms & Conditions Acceptance Box, you agree to these terms. If you do not agree to these terms, do not download or use the app and delete the app from your device.
Who we are and These Terms
Who we are. We are C. J. Fisher & Co Ltd, trading as “Smart-Will”, a company registered in England and Wales. Our company registration number is 11749223 and our registered office is at 10/12 Upper Dicconson Street, Greater Manchester, WN1 2AD
How to contact us. You can contact us by writing to us at email@example.com.
How we may contact you. If we have to contact you we will do so by writing to you at the email address provided to us when registering an account on the App.
“Writing” includes emails. When we use the words “writing” or “written” in these terms, this includes emails.
what These Terms do
We license you to use the Smart-Will mobile application software (the “App”) and any updates or supplements to it as permitted in these terms. You may also use the App to create and manage a will and associated services (the Smart-Will Services) under these terms.
These terms tell you who we are, how you can use the App, how we provide services to you, how you and we may change or end the contracts for Smart-Will Services, what to do if there is a problem and other important information. If you think that there is a mistake in these terms, please contact us to discuss.
Changes to these terms
We may need to change these terms to reflect changes in law or best practice or to deal with additional features which we introduce. Next time you use the App following any changes to these terms, you will be asked to agree to the amended terms before you can use the App. If you do not accept the changes you will not be permitted to continue to use the App and the Smart-Will Services.
Please be aware that internet transmissions are never completely private or secure and that any message or information you send using the App may be read or intercepted by others, even if there is a special notice that a particular transmission is encrypted.
APPSTORE’S terms also apply
The ways in which you can use the App may also be controlled by the iTunes or Google Play rules and policies. See your relevant app supplier for more details.
We may end your rights to use the App and Smart-Will Services at any time by contacting you if you have broken these terms in a serious way. If what you have done can be put right we will give you a reasonable opportunity to do so.
If we end your rights to use the App and Smart-Will Services:
- You must stop all activities authorised by these terms, including your use of the App and any Smart-Will Services.
- You must delete or remove the App from all devices in your possession and immediately destroy all copies of the App which you have and confirm to us that you have done this.
- We may remotely access your devices and remove the App from them and cease providing you with access to the Smart-Will Services.
Using the App
Operating system requirements
The iOS (Apple) version of the App requires an iPhone or iPad device with a minimum of 1GB of available memory, and an operating system of iOS9 or above.
The Android version of the App requires a Mobile Handset / Tablet device with a minimum of 1GB of memory and the Android or Android Distribution with all core native Android features operating system 5.0.
Support for the App and how to tell us about problems
Support. If you want to learn more about the App or have any problems using it please contact our customer service team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contacting us (including with complaints). If you think the App or the Smart-Will Services are faulty or misdescribed or wish to contact us for any other reason please contact our customer service team via email@example.com.
How you may use the App
In return for your agreeing to comply with these terms you may:
- download or stream a copy of the App onto one mobile telephone or handheld device onto which the App may be downloaded and view, use and display the App and the Service on such devices for your personal purposes only; and
- receive and use any free supplementary software code or update of the App incorporating “patches” and corrections of errors as we may provide to you.
If someone else owns the phone or device you are using
If you download or stream the App onto any phone or other device not owned by you, you must have the owner’s permission to do so. You will be responsible for complying with these terms, whether or not you own the phone or other device.
You must be 18 to accept these terms and Use the app
You must be aged 18 or over to accept these terms and use the App.
You may not transfer the App to someone else
We are giving you personally the right to use the App and the Smart-Will Services as set out above see “HOW YOU MAY USE THE APP” above. You can only access the Smart-Will Services through a unique account (see below) and you may not transfer the App to someone else, whether for money, for anything else or for free. If you sell any device on which the App is installed, you must remove the App from it.
Intellectual property rights
All intellectual property rights in the App and the Smart-Will Services throughout the world belong to us and the rights in the App and the Smart-Will Services are licensed (not sold) to you. You have no intellectual property rights in, or to, the App or the Smart-Will Services other than the right to use them in accordance with these terms.
Update to the App
From time to time we may automatically update the App to improve performance, enhance functionality, reflect changes to the operating system or address security issues. Alternatively we may ask you to update the App for these reasons.
If you choose not to install such updates or if you opt out of automatic updates you may not be able to continue using the App and the Smart-Will Services.
The App will always work with the current or previous version of the operating system (as it may be updated from time to time) and match the description of it provided to you when you bought it.
We may collect technical data about your device
By using the App or any of the Smart-Will Services, you agree to us collecting and using technical information about the devices you use the App on and related software, hardware and peripherals to improve our products and to provide any Smart-Will Services to you.
We are not responsible for other websites you link to
The App or any of the Smart-Will Services may contain links to other independent websites which are not provided by us. Such independent sites are not under our control, and we are not responsible for and have not checked and approved their content or their privacy policies (if any).
You will need to make your own independent judgement about whether to use any such independent sites, including whether to buy any products or services offered by them.
You agree that you will:
- except in the course of permitted sharing (see section on “HOW YOU MAY USE THE APP“) not rent, lease, sub-license, loan, provide, or otherwise make available, the App or the Smart-Will Services in any form, in whole or in part to any person without prior written consent from us;
- not copy the App or Smart-Will Services, except as part of the normal use of the App or where it is necessary for the purpose of back-up or operational security;
- not translate, merge, adapt, vary, alter or modify, the whole or any part of the App or Smart-Will Services nor permit the App or the Smart-Will Services or any part of them to be combined with, or become incorporated in, any other programs, except as necessary to use the App and the Smart-Will Services on devices as permitted in these terms;
- not disassemble, de-compile, reverse engineer or create derivative works based on the whole or any part of the App or the Smart-Will Services nor attempt to do any such things, except to the extent that (by virtue of sections 50B and 296A of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988) such actions cannot be prohibited because they are necessary to decompile the App to obtain the information necessary to create an independent program that can be operated with the App or with another program (Permitted Objective), and provided that the information obtained by you during such activities:
- is not disclosed or communicated without the Licensor’s prior written consent to any third party to whom it is not necessary to disclose or communicate it in order to achieve the Permitted Objective; and
- is not used to create any software that is substantially similar in its expression to the App;
- is kept secure; and
- is used only for the Permitted Objective;
- comply with all applicable technology control or export laws and regulations that apply to the technology used or supported by the App or any Service.
Smart-Will Services Terms
The App allows you to create and manage a will that is valid in England and Wales (“Will“), and purchase associated services from us (the “Smart-Will Services“).
In this section, the following definitions apply:
“Beneficiary” means persons who will benefit under your Will.
“Estate” means all the assets you can dispose of in your Will.
“STEP” means Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners.
“Trustees” means your executors at any time under your Will App Will.
Will Writing Feature
The Will writing feature on the App provides a simple Will automatically, and is designed for relatively straight forward Wills. If you do not believe the Will writing feature adequately deals with the contents of your Will and adequately covers your wishes, you should contact us to discuss alternative services. We can provide a bespoke Will writing service in addition to the feature on the App and we can arrange an appointment for you to see one of our nominated regional solicitors if you contact us. Additional terms and conditions may apply to the bespoke services. It is your responsibility to decide whether the Will writing feature on the App adequately provides the service you need or require.
If you wish to for example:
- provide a life interest in your jointly owned properties to your surviving spouse/partner with the capital share to others e.g. children from previous marriages;
- include measures to mitigate Inheritance Tax Liability after the first of you has died as you believe that your estate or joint estate with your spouse/partner could be of such a size to be charged to that Tax;
- take steps to try to avoid care or care home fees or Probate Court Fees; or
- make your and your spouse/partner’s mirror Wills binding on the survivor of you so that that survivor would not be able to change their Will (called “Mutual Wills”),
the App will may not provide exactly what you want.
We do not provide legal, tax or investment advice.
Business Interests: If there is a business / interest in a business forming part of your estate, the STEP standard administrative provisions included in the App will provide for the Executors to have full authority to step in and deal with the business including running it as a going concern to realise the full value of that business. However, you may wish to appoint an Executor that has knowledge of the business specifically to act in this capacity, otherwise C. J. Fisher & Co Ltd/our nominated solicitors will have to appoint someone to undertake this role.
Excluding those financially dependent on you at the time of your death: you should be aware that if you are excluding a person who is financially dependent on you from being a beneficiary under your Will there is a statutory provision by which the Will could be challenged by that person, and C. J. Fisher & Co Ltd Ltd excepts no liability for any such challenge being successful.
Appointment of Guardian: If you have included this provision in your Will, you should note that this is a ‘wish clause’ meaning that it is not binding on the Family Court which would have the legal authority to make the appointment but any wish in your Will would be taken into account.
Real Property (ie interests in Houses, Land etc.): the Smart-Will App Will has no provision for specific gifts of interests in land / real property. If you own such as what is called equitable joint tenants with another, commonly a spouse/civil partner, your interest will pass to that person automatically outside the provision of your will, or the intestacy rules that govern estates when people die without a will. If you own property as equitable tenants in common with another person or people, your interest will pass under your will / rules of intestacy. If you are leaving your residuary estate to the same person you own the property with this does not matter, but if you wish to leave them only a percentage share (or none) of your residuary estate, this would leave them co-owning the property with your named residuary beneficiaries. You should be sure this is what you want. This situation may leave your surviving spouse/civil partner’s home vulnerable to the bankruptcy of the co-owners, or their divorce settlements, or their wishing to force a sale of the property.
If you are in any doubt as to whether what your Will App will does in respect of your home/other properties is what you want, please contact us and we will arrange for one of our nominated solicitors to advise you in this respect for an additional fee of £60. C. J. Fisher & Co LTD accepts no liability for your will not doing what you want in this respect. If you do seek our nominated solicitors’ advice those solicitors will of course then have their usual duty of care to you for their advice.
Execution of your Will
In order for your Will to be valid you will need to print it and sign it in front of two witnesses as indicated on the Will. For us to store your Will for you, following signing of your Will you need to send it to us within 12 months of your Will being prepared along with a copy of your passport or driving licence certified by a solicitor.
To order Smart-Will Services you must have registered an account on the App (your “Account“), and must provide us with certain information about you.
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our contract with you
How we will accept your order. Where you use our instant Will writing feature on the App, acceptance of your order will take place once the App states the order has been accepted, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us. Where you contact us to require a Will to be prepared separate to the App, our acceptance of your order will take place when we email you to accept it, at which point a contract will come into existence between you and us.
If we cannot accept your order. If we are unable to accept your order, we will inform you of this and will not charge you for the services. This might be because we are not able to provide the service in the expected timeframe, because of unexpected limits on our resources which we could not reasonably plan for, or because we have identified an error in the price or description of the service.
Your order number. We will assign an order number to your order and tell you what it is when we accept your order. It will help us if you can tell us the order number whenever you contact us about your order.
We only sell services in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. While you may be able to access our App outside of